I think this is our #4 of winter/spring mods for R.E.D.
…I’m kind of losing track.
A trip during early spring to make sure our lady was secure,
any extra snow was knocked off the tarp
and with surprisingly little effort we extracted the galley.
There it is!…
…how many other boat-crazy people would remove their galley
and display it on their coffee table?
…I suppose same crazy people
who see their anchor
as a piece of art.
here it is again…
very dark interior,
limited access to storage
and my one-burner alcohol stove.
First step was to reinforce the opening
with 3/4″ x 2″ marine plywood
and 1/2″ on the back and sides to ease installation
of future pressurized water system etc.
The front panel was removed
and a stainless steel piano hinge installed at the base.
…to make a drop-down storage access.
…and the interior refreshed with
two applications of Captain’s favourite paint…
…stainless steel hardware was added to both sides…
to make a secure heel-worthy closure.
and lengths of chain to support each side when opened…
…the new Dometic electric/alcohol combo stove
an extra electrical outlet installed.
all GFI protected.
(you can have a look at what was done here
…back to the living room for a final photo shoot,
all polished and ready to return to the boat.
Still the same basic design,
but with modifications
that will relieve some of the little frustrations
that come with living in tight spaces.
Brighter and easier to clean…
…and will be much easier to access
and hook up our water supply.
That almost lost space under the galley?
(hatch installation here
…now easily accessible and ready for summer provisions.
In the grand scale of things,
these weren’t big modifications,
nor were they expensive ones.
For now we choose to change what bugs us the most,
access and storage.
Someday we would like to be able to wash both hands at once,
but we can live with the ‘pump and squirt’ faucet one more season.
Just a lick of paint,
inspirations from our social media boating community,
…a collaborative effort…
all pretty once again.
Refrigeration back onboard…
(link to construction for housing of our cooler here
…and all the little monkey socks ready to protect François’ boat buddies:
Jack, Johnny, José and Captain Morgan.
I am one Happy (can’t-wait-to-be-back-on-the-water) Galley Kat!
Storage on any boat is limited
and ours is no exception.
Just accessing some areas is difficult and at times frustrating
so we decided to follow the lead of one of our virtual MacGregor friends
and order an access hatch.
The perfect place to start will be to install it below the galley
so we ordered the larger rectangular model.
23″ x 13.75″
If this goes well will consider smaller ones later,
but François knows that anything that makes life easier for his Galley Kat,
creates smooth sailing for the Captain.
…for a backing plate to add strength to the fibreglass
and to ease installation…
…once the hole is cut.
…tracing the template, measuring twice.
…because cutting once will be our only option, says my confident Captain.
…my Galley’s belly opened and raw.
Time to see if it fits…
…this Galley Kat is always usually a big help.
… a polymer glue added to the painted backing plate.
…perfect fit opened.
…perfect fit closed…
One more project completed,
making life onboard R.E.D.
just a little more comfortable.
…now to get on with the next job.