Time to get this party started!

We are very close to departing for our summer adventure and installing the generator is THE last project yet to be completed…for now.  We’ll be using it only when needed while at anchor but the main reason for the gas beast was a ‘just in case’ there was a repeat of last summer when cranking battery died and we had to enter an unfamiliar marina under sail (story here)

We had hoped to secure a piece of marine starboard for the transome support but there wasn’t enough time to order, receive and cut to fit, so marine plywood was used as a stop gap measure.  Two layers of primer and two layers of epoxy paint to protect.

Prepping the Base

Prepping the Base

Because we are now living on the water, a couple of saw horses borrowed at the club to paint and our tow beast trunk to stow the piece while it dried to keep free of dust became the workshop of choice.



Transome Brackets

These two ‘starboard’ pieces are actually salvaged from my daughter’s cutting board but they will make the perfect bracket for the transome support.



Perfect Fit

One last check to make sure fit was perfect and mark the height to apply the brackets.


Brackets in Place

The brackets were smeared with 3M 4000 them screwed in place each side of the transome.

Eyelets for securing straps

Eyelets for Securing Straps Sealed with Butyle Tape



Travel Position



Captain Seat Closed



Running Position


Wrapped and Strapped

Wrapped and Strapped

…and ready to GO!


Hard to imagine that all this gear was necessary to apply 4 screws but it actually was.  It’s going to take an organizational wizard to make this work. (wink! wink!)

What We Used
  • ¾" Marine Plywood
  • Primer
  • Epoxy Paint
  • ¾" Starboard for supports
  • 3M 4000
  • 4 x SS screws
  • 4 x SS eyelets
  • 8 x SS ¾" screws
  • 8 x SS springs washers
  • Butyl tape
  • Lashing Straps


Captain has a brand new toy.


Our goal this year is to gain more independence.

While on the water there are so many things over which we have no control. What we can do though is to improve on and install systems that will allow us the freedom to choose when, where and for how long to stop. After draining the battery last year requiring entering an unfamiliar marina under sail alone really brought home the need to make some serious changes (you can read all about that fun day here)

This is the first step to that end.

Our new (and very R.E.D.) Honda Marine EU2000i Generator

(here is a link to all the specs)

Honda EU2000i Marine Generator

On the boat, I’m not a big fan of motors or anything that makes noise, other than the rush of water under R.E.D.’s belly and the sound of the wind in her sails, but I get why this will improve our quality of life and in some instances safety aboard.


Before bringing it home, I had the chance to test it’s weight….it’s heavy, dry weight just a little over 45 lbs, but I can lift it myself.  It’s very easy to start, even with my skinny little arms.  These two things were important to me. I have to know that regardless of what happens that I can handle all systems myself if needed and Francois respects and encourages it.  We still need to decide where to install and design an adequate exhaust line but I’ll address that in a future post.



We paid a little visit to R.E.D. today

Beautiful sunny and really not very cold day…

almost felt like spring…


With the last big recent snow fall we wanted to make sure

there wasn’t accumulation on the tarp

which could pose a risk of

putting too much pressure on the stanchions and fibre glass.

Luckily with where we are positioned this year

we are fairly well protected by the other larger boats

so all was good.

We also took a few measurements.

…figuring where the future generator will fit.

Longer trips away from home port this coming year will mean

we have to plan for alternative power sources.

…a little over two months until spring thaw.

…and this, the epic pic of the day….

Francois sitting at the edge of the frozen lake

waiting for spring.