GENERATING INDEPENDENCE – part three

GENERATING INDEPENDENCE – part three

To answer some of the questions asked about the physical placement of our Gen (the Generator), the following pictures may help explain…

image

Travelling Position

 

image

Travelling Position, Captain Seat Up

 

image

Swim Ladder Down

Even without moving Gen we can easily access the swim ladder

image

…but should we need more space, Gen can easily be removed ‘en masse’.

image

…and set aside on one of the cockpit seats.

image

Engine Up

With the engine up the prop still trails in the water but the Gen platform can be trimmed an inch or two which will allow more tilt to the engine.  It was hard to design during the winter months to know exactly how wide to cut it.  It will remain as such for now.

image

Filling Water Reservoir

While we were at the service dock snapping pictures for you I thought I would show just how easy it is to refill our three water jugs.

image

Ready to Set Sail

GENERATING INDEPENDENCE – Part Two

GENERATING INDEPENDENCE – Part Two

Time to get this party started!

We are very close to departing for our summer adventure and installing the generator is THE last project yet to be completed…for now.  We’ll be using it only when needed while at anchor but the main reason for the gas beast was a ‘just in case’ there was a repeat of last summer when cranking battery died and we had to enter an unfamiliar marina under sail (story here)

We had hoped to secure a piece of marine starboard for the transome support but there wasn’t enough time to order, receive and cut to fit, so marine plywood was used as a stop gap measure.  Two layers of primer and two layers of epoxy paint to protect.

Prepping the Base

Prepping the Base

Because we are now living on the water, a couple of saw horses borrowed at the club to paint and our tow beast trunk to stow the piece while it dried to keep free of dust became the workshop of choice.

 

image

Transome Brackets

These two ‘starboard’ pieces are actually salvaged from my daughter’s cutting board but they will make the perfect bracket for the transome support.

 

image

Perfect Fit

One last check to make sure fit was perfect and mark the height to apply the brackets.

image

Brackets in Place

The brackets were smeared with 3M 4000 them screwed in place each side of the transome.

Eyelets for securing straps

Eyelets for Securing Straps Sealed with Butyle Tape

 

image

Travel Position

 

image

Captain Seat Closed

 

image

Running Position

 

Wrapped and Strapped

Wrapped and Strapped

…and ready to GO!

image

Hard to imagine that all this gear was necessary to apply 4 screws but it actually was.  It’s going to take an organizational wizard to make this work. (wink! wink!)

GENERATING INDEPENDENCE - Part Two
 
What We Used
  • ¾" Marine Plywood
  • Primer
  • Epoxy Paint
  • ¾" Starboard for supports
  • 3M 4000
  • 4 x SS screws
  • 4 x SS eyelets
  • 8 x SS ¾" screws
  • 8 x SS springs washers
  • Butyl tape
  • Lashing Straps
WATER WATER EVERYWHERE

WATER WATER EVERYWHERE

Water supply onboard R.E.D.has always been an issue...not just in amount available but in ease of access...one hand washed at a time. Last year the original faucet started giving us problems during our trip away.  Francois did his best to fix it but by the end of the season it was clear the poor thing wouldn't last much longer(story here).

We've put a lot into our little chalet on the water to make her safer for this year's adventure and galley improvements were not on our list of upgrades.  A simple and inexpensive solution was to replace our two 2.5 gallon water jugs with three 5 gallon jugs, add a length of tubing so we could run water from the rear bilge back to the galley sink.  Problem was the old faucet wouldn't hold the prime.  Could be all those little black bits that kept falling out of it was the reason.  So I made an executive decision and ordered a new faucet.  Still hand pump version but that upgrade will have to wait till next year.

Attaching the New Faucet

Attaching the New Faucet

Out with the old and in with the new was an easy fix.

 
Through the Galley

Through the Galley

The 10 feet of tubing was run through the existing access made for the AC/DC Dometic converter.

 
Cropped Jug Tap

Cropped Jug Tap

 

Francois cut off the tap top of the jug cap so we could run the tubing through.

 
Adjusting the Length

Adjusting the Length

Electrical tape marks the right depth for the tubing inside the jug...

 
Taped Snug Fit

Taped Snug Fit

...and also acts to tighten the seal once the cap is in place.

 
Port Side Rear Bilge

Port Side Rear Bilge

 

Now all three jugs have a secure place port side just behind the companionway stairs.

Photo-20160510155448516.jpg

Free Flowing

Fifteen gallons of free flowing water.  Faucet holds it's prime.  All is good in the galley. It's not the perfect solution but for now it will give us a better water supply for this boating season.  I still dream of the day when I can wash both hands at once.

 
WATER WATER EVERYWHERE
 
What We Used
  • Valterra RP800 faucet
  • 3 x 5 gallon jugs
  • 10' x ⅝" BPA free tubing
  • 1 hose clamp
  • plumber's tape
  • electrical tape