This was a day of waiting…
We had some good sailing
but because the winds were light we decided to motor the channel
between Valleyfield and Beauharnois.
Today’s journey took us under two bridges…
…the first was Pont Laroque…
…and the next Pont Saint-Louis de Gonzague…
Each time we had to wait for the bridge master to first stop traffic
then the bridge would be raised so we could pass.
Each took no more than 15 minutes of wait time.
…made us feel kind of special that our little R.E.D.
could stop traffic on a highway
if only for a few minutes.
By 1300 hr we reached the channel that would take us to the next two locks,
tied up at the pleasure craft dock
next lockage 1530 hrs.
Making the best of the situation we enjoyed lunch
and poured ourselves a glass of wine
for a quiet little boat picnic.
Commercial vessels always have priority in the seaway locks
so we had to wait until this one had passed through both.
…I couldn’t fit this 222 metre vessel into one shot.
…then it was our turn in the concrete tomb,
yet again the only boat…
In the end from docking to leaving the two locks took us four hours.
Still very light winds we continued on under motor
to try to reach our destination by early evening.
Topped up the gas tank
$35 was the cost in gas from Kingston – not bad!
Really loving those prevailing winds!
The bosun at the reciprocol club where I had reserved a spot for the night
directed us to an empty slip,
We got R.E.D. and us prepared for bed…
There were actually three young bosun,
one questioning that there was a free dock available.
This information will be important for you to know later.
Just after crawling into our berth for the night we heard:
‘Hello in there, this is our dock’
A sailboat with four passengers had come in late and wanted their place back.
Someone somewhere hadn’t communicated where we should have been placed for the night.
After a good deal of scrambling we managed to unhook power,
untie the lines,
pull out and find our way in the dark to the visitors’ dock.
More than a little upset at the time,
we were very pleased with ourselves.
We had planned on trying some night outings
and now have one successful manoeuvre completed.
How’s that for making lemonade?
Close to one month now…
Another great day of sailing even though the winds were light
we made excellent time because of those prevailing winds at our back…
…a few more BFB’s to stear clear of…
…you know when provisions are getting low
when lunch is a peanut and jam sandwich,
half a granola bar
and a glass of wine…
Do we care?
No, not in the least.
It was delicious!
What made this day extra special was what we encountered at the end.
A course mate of ours has been keeping up to date with our blog
and contacted us, inviting us to stop for visit.
GPS coordinates logged into our chart plotter
we reached this dock by early afternoon…
With some help we secured R.E.D. for the night.
The rest of our day was pure pleasure.
Welcoming and generous hosts,
a superb evening spent getting to know each other,
sharing travel and boat adventures.
Francois and I wish you both fair winds on your next adventure.
(Azores to the Algarve – so very jealous but in a good way)
We look forward to our next encounter….
Remember the squirrel – live in the moment….
The weather forecast today came with yet another wind and thunderstorm advisory,
so we left our anchorage at Brandy Bay with caution.
…again with our foresail alone but this time we reefed the genoa…
…it was a cold and very sporty day but we took turns at the helm…
…each day we become more and more confident with our own ability
and more confident with R.E.D. herself…
…we reached the Eisenhower and Snell Locks in good time…
…a couple of BFB’s (Big Fluvial Boats) were also locking through…
…so we made lunch and waited at the pleasure craft dock…
…all in all it took us 3 hours (1.5 hours of wait time)
from here to the end of Snell.
This one was a new experience and a little unnerving.
I wish I could have taken pictures but wasn’t sure how safe the camera would be
while keeping us poled away from the concrete walls.
As the water level was lowered we found ourselves in this giant concrete tomb.
As I looked up I had the sensation not too unlike vertigo but in reverse.
Maybe I will be able to rig the camera nearby for the next two locks.
Because of the strong winds we found a safe anchorage on the American side,
near the shore of Dodens Island.
This was our favourite anchorage so far…
It was a tiny island inhabited solely by birds…
More varieties than I have ever seen in one place.
I tried to capture some of them on camera
but the resolution isn’t as good as I would have liked…
…if you look closely you can seen the herons feeding their young…
…and the Great White Egret returning to her nest…
…in this tree there were at least five egrets…
…I have no idea what this little bird is
but he sat and watched close by until nightfall…
…nightfall with a view of the Adirondacks in the distance…
…nightfall with another spectacular sunset
on another spectacular day.