The last in our Winter/Spring 2015 series of changes
to make life on our lady more accommodating.
This one addresses one of my biggest beefs
…the companionway door.
It’s awkward, cumbersome and a pain to store.
Boat modifications seem to be one big chain reaction…
We had a rubbing problem…
Companionway hatch was wearing away the gelcoat…
Solution, via more great social media group suggestions,
…apply tephlon tape.
And since we had to remove the hatch and rails to apply the tape,
why not replace the white rails with wooden ones?
And since we were replacing the wooden rails,
why not re-design the companionway door.
…and so on and so on…
Plexiglass was considered…nice modern touch,
but Captain loves his wood accents
and we were definitely on a wood path.
…our final Winter/Spring project #5…
…Francois first measured out the bristol board template.
…a glass of wine (lower right corner) always helps the creative process.
…confirming the correct dimensions
on a sheet of 3/8″ baltic birch.
Condo life has its advantages as we can lock our door and leave for indefinite periods.
..but although François would kill to have the space for a proper workshop,
he has made good use of our kitchen,
and little guest room
for our winter projects.
Using a skill saw and improvised wooden guide
he made the intial straight cut.
…then back to the boat,
making sure the overall shape and dimensions were correct.
oh, how I do love this idea!!!
16″ x 8-5/8″
…to be installed in the upper half of the door.
with a 3/4″ backing plate to strengthen the structure.
Then back to the boat to make sure all the pieces fit…
…the main door components now in two sections.
…with 2 additional screened sections.
…a little mix of this…
…with a little match of that…
…then back home to the guest room ‘workroom’
for stain and Cetol.
After 4 coats of Cetol,
the project is moved to the kitchen ‘workroom’
…and installation of the porthole…
…Butyl caulked screws…
…for a good water tight seal…
For the screened sections…
Francois chose aluminum mesh for more strength…
…secured with stainless steel staples…
…mitre-cut oak trim, stained to match…
…covering the staples to make a cleaner finish…
1-3/8″ oak overhang on top section…
…with weather stripping for a little added seal…
…all ready to go back to the boat.
All that hard work needs protecting when not in use,
so I found a travel bag for $15
and a yoga mat for $10
that I cut up to fit between each piece.
We couldn’t find a lock that suited the Mac,
so instead of re-inventing something that would fit,
we used the one from the original door.
Porthole, the perfect size….
….for all those important small things!
Major Pig (ret’d)