HAUL-OUT 2016

HAUL-OUT 2016

This year R.E.D. is being hauled out earlier than usual.  We need to have my engine serviced – necessary after 300 hours of use – and you can bet Francois has been keeping track (you should see his spread sheets).

Why I call it ‘my engine’ here.

img_2548

Morning Coffee

After an early rise and a cup of coffee, Francois picked up our haul-out ticket.  It all went well, straps placed, she was carefully raised and set perfectly on the trailer.

9acc60eb-7568-4a86-96a9-8f0d9f530aee

Haul-out

The club was great in giving us a temporary parking location so we could give R.E.D. an initial clean up.  While Francois applied a cleaner along the water line (Mary Kate On Off Hull Cleaner), I power washed the belly then rinsed the entire hull.  Very proud of my workin’ hands but I’d say a manicure may be in order.

img_2576

Workin’ Hands

So we could get an early start we spent the night onboard one last time.  When I opened my eyes the next morning there was a second or two of  extreme confusion.  Instead of clear sky overhead I saw leaves and a squirrel perched on the unstepped mast.  Oh yeah.  We’re no longer on the water.

Processed with Snapseed.

The View

One last look as the hauling out of club boats continues before heading out to Evinrude maintenance guy.

img_2565

Our Club

We’ll be leaving R.E.D. in good hands for the next several days. Uncoupling the car, she was immediately trailered away awaiting her place in the production line.

img_2585

MY Engine

So what do a couple of sailors do after just a couple of coffees in our bellies and no breakfast?  We head over to our fave watering hole, order a couple of celebratory pints and a yummy brunch.  Tomorrow we’ll get back to a more reasonably healthy diet…at least that’s what we tell ourselves.

Poutine Pizza

Poutine Pizza

I’ll return once MY engine has been serviced to let you know all about what we go through for R.E.D.’s winterizing process.  At the end of our fourth season we have it down to a fairly efficient process but there a few things that will need to be corrected.

Back soon….

MAST LIGHT FIX

MAST LIGHT FIX

Even when R.E.D. was brand new right off the production line four years ago the mast light sometimes worked, sometimes not.  For so many legitimate reasons, when something goes wrong we tend to blame it on dealer issues but this time it turned out to be a factory issue.

image

Frail Connections

No wonder the light worked poorly.  When disconnecting it fell apart in Francois’ hands.

image

Corrosion

Corrosion is a fact of life especially when exposed to salt water environments but this was a good lesson to routinely check connections, although this was not a water-tight connection and subject to infiltration.

image

New Piece

Fortunately this was an easy and inexpensive repair

image

Easy Fix

All installed, super sealed with butyl tape and ready to test.  Did Francois connect positive with positve and negative with negative?

image

Mast Up

Yes! Connection made and now our mast light works consistently.

image

Mast Down

Safely capped when we unstep the mast.

An $18 piece, a bit of butyl tape to seal equals a whole lot of piece of mind.

CONDENSATION

CONDENSATION

It’s not the water outside the boat that creates the problem but the water within, or in our case the moisture.  Well, yes there was a case(s) last year where we left the forward hatch open, crossed the wake of a very large cruiser which thoroughly soaked our bed.  Our fault. We forgot.  We learned.  We dried out…eventually.

This year though we faced another moisture challenge.  Cold meeting warm.  When the frigid temperatures of the Saint Lawrence River (1 °C – 7 °C)  met the warm-ish ambient temperatures inside R.E.D.’s cabin condensation resulted.  And evil mildew ensued.

image

R.E.D. isn’t built for such conditions and now that we are back from this summer’s adventure we have to address fixing the issues.

image

After scrubbing away the mildew, Francois put a substantial coating of a product that is supposed to control mold and mildew.  Well if the famous Mike Holmes endorses it, it must be good, right? Worth a try anyway.

image

Our Froli bed system and cushions were removed from the V-berth. The floatation material was also removed and the bilge lined with mylar insulation…the same used to make the blanket for our cooler (story here)

image

Mylar Liner

Have you ever taken a piece of equipment apart and when putting it back together had something leftover?…

image

Where Does This Go?

…This was one of those cases.

image

Mylar Lined Bilge Cover

We are, for the moment at least, mold and mildew free.  V-berth cushions and bedding has been returned.  The rear bilges have been cleaned and pretty well sanitized.  The one big issue remains that will have to be addressed (if I have anything to do with it)…all that carpet on the walls of the cabin MUST GO.  Replacing the covering on the dagger board well turned out to be a great solution – however difficult – it was worth the effort (story here).  We have discussed options.  Francois has thoughts. I have thoughts and as with any good team, somewhere in the middle, we will reach a solution.  More to come on that in the near future. For now we will enjoy sailing on our little lake for the rest of the season mold-free.